promote Tajik heritage
Dr. Shirinbek, with the support of three generations of family members, has established an NGO called Gulu Giyoh (Flowers and Herbs). Its mission is to conserve and promote the natural and cultural heritage of Tajik Badakhshan by:
- Preserving and revitalizing the ethnic languages, customs and traditions of Badakhshan
- Conserving medicinal plants indigenous to the Badakhshan region, and promoting their use
- Raising awareness of the properties of local mineral springs and promoting their use
Gulu Giyoh Funding Sources:
The Christensen Fund
Gulu Giyoh received a grant to promote biocultural diversity. The funds were used to publish the following books:
- “Medicinal Herbs of Badakhshan”
- "Treatment with honey"
- "Treatment with clay"
- "Ishkashimi language heritage"
- "Ghoron treasure"
Work on the "Wakhi language encyclopedia" is currently underway.
Development Policy Foundation
Gulu Giyoh received an education grant to start a School of Volunteering. You can read more about this initiative here.
People Like You
A number of private donors have made substantial contributions to the work of Gulu Giyoh. Donations are currently being sought to fund translations of books into English and/or Russian.